Meet the agency that brings you Inspire magazine…
The Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence
Who are they?
A FREE support and counselling service for women and young women who have experienced sexual violence at any time in their lives.
What is sexual violence?
Sexual Violence means any sexual behaviour that is unwanted and makes a person feel uncomfortable, frightened or threatened
Sexual Violence includes…
- Unwanted touching or kissing
- Child sexual abuse
- Unwanted sexual texts, photos, emails, posts and/or messages
- Pressuring or forcing someone to have sex
- Having sex with someone who is drunk, out of it, unconscious or asleep
Sexual Violence is a crime!
Why would I go there?
- To talk to someone about how you feel after an experience of sexual violence
- Because your experience of sexual violence is affecting your life in some way/s, such as:
- Feeling sad, depressed, confused, overwhelmed or angry
- Blaming yourself
- Relationship problems
- Difficulty concentrating at school
- Using alcohol or drugs as a way to cope with your feelings or to block them out
- To support a friend, or to find out how to support a friend, who has experienced sexual violence
What’s counselling like?
In counselling, you decide what you want to talk about and what you are comfortable sharing. Counselling is about how you are feeling and the effects of the violence on your life – you do NOT have to talk about the details of what happened.
Counselling is confidential – the only time a counsellor will not keep what you have shared private is if information is required by a court of law or if someone’s safety is at risk.
You can bring a support person with you!
What else does GCCASV do?
- Provides Support if you decide to report to the police, or if your case goes to court
- A range of Groups (eg. self defence and self esteem)
- School presentations on topics like healthy relationships and consent
- Develops lots of resources that you can check out online @ www.stopsexualviolence.com
To make an appointment, or to speak to a counsellor, call 55911164. Or you can email: firstname.lastname@example.org